I've seen a lot of momentum around migrating chrome-only XPIDL interfaces
to WebIDL. I'm concerned that insufficient attention is being paid to the
impact on our binary size.

Fundamentally, the WebIDL bindings improve performance and spec correctness
at the expense of code size (and build times). This makes sense for things
that are web-exposed or performance-sensitive. But since the webidl
bindings are also more modern and easier to use, I'm concerned that people
will use them indiscriminately for all sorts of internal APIs, and our
binary will bloat by a thousand paper cuts.

A WebIDL method binding can easily cost a kilobyte or more, depending on
the number and types of the arguments. If we were to convert all of our
existing xpidl methods, we could approach 10MB in added code size.

Gating on DOM peer review gave us some degree of oversight to prevent
overuse. What should replace it?