On 1/24/19 11:25 PM, Paolo Amadini wrote:
> On 1/24/2019 9:57 PM, Philipp Kewisch wrote:
>> was there a specific reason to put the code in chrome://browser/ ? It
>> seems to me that this is a feature that is common for all toolkit apps,
>> so if you put it in chrome://toolkit/ then Thunderbird can just make use
>> of it without any major migration needs.
>
> We placed this page in the "browser" folder on purpose to get access to
> a broader range of styling assets, like the icon we display for locked
> preferences, without having to worry about uplifting specific parts of
> Photon to the "toolkit" folder, which complicates the asset management.
>
> As we see it, this page is specific to Firefox Desktop. Other products
> that live in mozilla-central already have a separate implementation,
> which is much easier from a maintenance perspective anyways, given that
> there are only about 400 lines of code and this way we don't have to
> worry about extra communication overhead for every change.
>
> For the same reasons, while I can't speak for the Thunderbird project,
> I believe that a separate code base for this page could lessen the
> maintenance burden on Thunderbird as well.
>
> Cheers,
> Paolo

For the old about:config, I don't recall many situations where we needed
to make any adjustments in Thunderbird. While I understand the extra
hassle of identifying styling assets that may need to be moved into
toolkit, I think that toolkit should retain a reference implementation
of about:config for desktop applications.

I don't believe that extra communication overhead should be an issue.
While Thunderbird enjoys a heads up if there are major changes, we are
quite used to features breaking without prior notice. I'm not expecting
any major changes to the new about:config that would require
communication, as long as a the boundary between toolkit and browser is
kept.

Speaking for the Thunderbird project after conferring with our
engineering manager, a separate code base for such an integral feature
of toolkit would not lessen the maintenance burden. We would essentially
need to port all the changes Firefox is making to the new about:config
as we go along, which will be more work than the occasional bugfix on
our end or patch contributed to m-c.

I'd enjoy if you could reconsider, and if there is something we can do
to help with that I am sure we can arrange something. If you are not
convinced, maybe we can have a quick chat about this on IRC or a meeting.

Thanks,
Philipp