I'd like to refocus this thread a bit around Jed's question, because it
gets to the core of the issue.

The proposal argues that test results for linux32 closely track those for
linux64, and that this duplication is expensive. If that's the only
problem, we could solve it by keeping linux32 as a tier-1 platform, but
just running the tests much less frequently. This would require
occasionally backfilling jobs when something does break, but that should be
rare.

There is a separate question of whether it is expensive to _engineer_ for
linux32, and whether we should drop support on those grounds (a la Windows
XP and non-SSE2). So far, the only linux32-specific engineering cost that
has been raised is linux32-specific sandboxing code. Is this a significant
maintenance burden? Are there other large areas of the code that are
linux32-specific?