A fair bit of work has been done to mod_nss, an SSL module for Apache that uses NSS instead of OpenSSL, since it was released last September.

Changes since then include use the NSS OCSP client, addition of a FIPS mode (similar to modutil -fips true -dbdir /path/to/database), options to seed the NSS Random Number Generator, support for Apache 2.2 as well as a number of important bug fixes.

If anyone is interested in trying this out I've created RPMS for RHEL 4 and Fedora Core 4 and 5. It should be as simple as installing a couple of RPMS and firing up Apache. The default listener is 8443 since I don't want it to interfere with any existing OpenSSL configuration. mod_nss can co-exist with mod_ssl in the same server.

You can find out more about mod_nss and download the binaries and/or source from http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Mod_nss

cheers

rob