Frank, thanks for your detailed explanation.  I concur with everything you've
said, but I'd just like to add a couple of additional comments (inline) in
reply to Eddy...

On Wednesday 12 March 2008, Frank Hecker wrote:
> Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.) wrote:
> > I working up my backlog....at first I thought this to be a good idea to
> > split the request up, but on the other hand I wonder if it's really that
> > good. Because we might see all requests in their context maybe...not
> > sure.
>
> For some information on context please see below.
>
> > Just what somewhat annoys me, is that all this roots issue all types of
> > certificates from DV to EV,

The Root Certificate Programs of many software providers place restrictions on
the total number of Root CA Certificates that they will accept from any one
CA organization.

In the case of Microsoft's Root Certificate Program: "Up to three roots per CA
can be accepted into the Program because each additional root negatively
impacts users by increasing download time".
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/security/news/rootcert.mspx?mfr=true

Also, we have encountered a number of Root Programs for mobile/embedded
devices that restrict the number of roots to only 1 or 2 per CA.

Given that we want to embed the same Root Certificate(s) in all platforms (to
avoid, if at all possible, the need for further problem-prone
cross-certification!), we really need to have generic (rather than
purpose-specific) trust anchors.

> > sometimes even their intermediate CAs do that...

For the record, I can assure you that Comodo never issue DV and EV certs from
the same Intermediate CA.

Having just said that, there is one exception I can think of: to help Mozilla
do technical testing, we recently issued an EV certificate and a non-EV
Certificate directly from each of our Roots.

--
Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist

Comodo CA Limited, Registered in England No. 04058690
Registered Office:
  3rd Floor, 26 Office Village, Exchange Quay,
  Trafford Road, Salford, Manchester M5 3EQ

If you have received this email in error please notify the sender by replying
to the e-mail containing this attachment. Replies to this email may be
monitored by Comodo for operational or business reasons. Whilst every
endeavour is taken to ensure that e-mails are free from viruses, no liability
can be accepted and the recipient is requested to use their own virus checking
software.