At 11:09 PM -0400 3/25/08, Frank Hecker wrote:
>As long as
>domain names can be re-registered to different owners, there is always
>this potential to some degree. It doesn't matter whether the cert
>lifetime is 10 years, 1 year, or 1 week.

Exactly right. A CA re-affirms the binding between the public key and
the identified party when it makes sense to. Some CAs think it makes
sense every year; others every ten years. In the private PKI realm,
there are CAs that re-affirm the binding daily.

>If I purchase a domain name
>today, it's possible that someone registered this domain a few days ago,
>got a cert for it, returned the domain name for a refund, and is now
>ready to attack. Thus if we take your statement literally then the
>implication is that we should never use a DV cert with any domain
>whatsoever, period, full stop.

Right.

>  > It has nothing to do with economics, but a lot to do with the knowledge
>>  that when I visit a web site with Firefox which has a legitimate
>>  certificate, that the site I'm visiting belongs to the right guy. This
>>  is what DV certs are all about, this is what they guaranty and this is
>>  the lowest barrier and condition of the Mozilla CA policy.
>
>And I'm telling you that if we take your argument at face value then
>there is no absolute guarantee, because this attack is theoretically
>possible for any cert lifetime longer than a day or so. So we have to
>fall back on judging relative risk, and that is what I've been trying to
>do in my analysis.

...and if Mozilla wants to set a time period for CAs to re-affirm the
binding, it should also look at relative risk as well.