Robin Alden:
>> - We are not seeking to cause any harm to Comodo or unilaterally remove
>> the roots from NSS. However can we seek the cooperation on the issues
>> which were raised and is Comodo willing to address this issues in good
>> faith?
>>
> [Robin said...] We are willing to address issues which are of concern to
> Mozilla, provided that the same standard applies at the same time to all
> CAs.

I think this is the general understanding.

>> - Apparently you agree that the major issues we've raised, indeed pose
>> higher risk to the relying parties. Can we work together in order to
>> improve your products to the extend that both sides can live with it
>> and
>> based on reasonable terms? This would improve the overall quality of
>> all
>> certificates issued by CAs which are included in NSS, which would
>> result
>> in further strengthening of digital certification in general and in
>> Mozilla software in particular. It would improve also your standing in
>> this industry!
>>
> [Robin said...]
> I didn't agree that any of the issues you raised were major ones.

As long as somebody else potentially has a legitimate certificate for
*my* domain name because of *your* CA, this risk is for me a major one.
I should be assured that nobody besides *me* has a legitimate
certificate two years after I purchased the domain. This might be fine
with you that other people have certificates for your domain names, it's
not fine with me.

> I do agree that there are a variety of levels of risk provided by the product
> ranges we have discussed.
> We are keen that levels of risk are reduced across the industry and we are
> always happy to talk about how that can be achieved.  I do not see how the
> withdrawal or modification of some of our products in isolation accomplishes
> that overall reduction in risk.  Amend your policy so that it fully
> expresses your requirements and then apply that policy to all CAs.

As a market leader you should be comfortable to lead the way and make
your contribution without some other authority telling you what to do.
This makes the difference between a leader and a follower.

> [Robin said...] As I mentioned before, we are commercially obliged to have
> our root CAs present in the major browser and OS platforms.  In the absence
> of other authority it is those browsers and OS platforms that set the
> standards we have to follow.  Since no single browser has the entire market
> cornered we are obliged to meet the union of all of the standards set by all
> of the browsers.
> We are prepared to comply with Mozilla's CA Policy.
Well, you don't have to, if you don't want to...

>   We are prepared to
> enter into and assist with discussions with Mozilla about changes they may
> wish to make to their policy.  We are also prepared to do the same with any
> other commercially important Browsers and OS platforms.

I think your input could be valuable and you are invited to join any
effort in that respect. Mozilla is a community project and you can be
part of this community.

> [Robin said...]
> I'm not the first guy you need to get to agree that your suggestions are
> reasonable.
> Mozilla should amend its CA policy if it believes there is something that it
> does not currently address and then apply that new policy to all CAs.
> The proscription of SSL products, or of details of their implementation, is
> something that should reasonably be discussed collectively with the CAs and
> the browsers.  Can I suggest that the CAB Forum would be one place in which
> the matter could usefully be discussed?  Mozilla is already able to propose
> such matters for discussion there through Jonathan Nightingale.

No, because the CAB forum is for EV certificates and has failed to
address many other pressuring issues, IMO. Additionally the CAB forum is
a closed, interest forum of CAs and some software vendors, unaccessible
to the public and/or smaller software vendors and CAs. Nobody knows what
Jonathan does at the CAB forum eithe, nor do we know what the CAB forum
does at all.

Signer:         Eddy Nigg, StartCom Ltd. <http://www.startcom.org>
Jabber:         [EMAIL PROTECTED] <xmpp:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Blog:   Join the Revolution! <http://blog.startcom.org>
Phone:          +1.213.341.0390