At 1:35 PM -0800 1/5/09, Wan-Teh Chang wrote:
>On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 12:32 PM, Paul Hoffman <phoff...@proper.com> wrote:
>>
>> I propose that Mozilla form a new mailing list, dev-policy-trustanchors. The
>> topics for that list would include:
>>
>> - All new trust anchors being added to the Mozilla trust anchor pile
>> - Proposals for changes to the Mozilla trust anchor policy
>> - Complaints about particular participants in the current trust anchor pile
>> - Discussion of the UI aspects of the PKI in various Mozilla software
>
>The first three topics are appropriate for the proposed new mailing list.
>(I would use "root CAs" instead of "trust anchors" in the mailing list's
>name because "trust anchors" sounds a little too technical.)

I beg to differ here. There has been a lot of discussion of allowing people to
add self-signed certs that are not CAs to their list of trusted CAs. Those
would be roots, but they would not be CAs. They are, in fact, trust anchors.

>The fourth topic is not related to trust anchor policy.

Somewhat true, but they are a direct outgrowth of it. Note that I said "the UI
aspects of the PKI", not "the UI aspects of security".

>So I'd propose
>that it stay in this mailing list even though it is not strictly speaking
>related to crypto either.

It is far less related to crypto than it is to trust anchor policy.

>I'm reading this mailing list using a mail program that supports
>threaded discussions, so all the discussions about root CAs
>don't prevent me from answering the real crypto questions.  I
>don't need the proposed new mailing list, but I don't object
>to it either.

You are missing the parts where there are actual technical questions or
assertions in the middle of threads that started as trust anchor rants.