Ian G wrote, On 2009-01-08 16:42:
> On 9/1/09 00:46, Ben Bucksch wrote:
>>> Certs expire for the same reason that credit cards do. Do you
>>> understand why that is?
>> No, quite frankly, I do not.
>>
>> First off, my credit cards (VISA, MasterCard) are valid until Jan 1, 2013.
>

> I had to think about it too ... I think it is because in the old days,
> the retailers had little pieces of paper with all the "revoked" credit
> card numbers.  Shop assistants were paid a reward for spotting the bad
> credit cards.  Back in the early days (I remember being trained on these
> papers, we kept them under the register) there were around 100-1000
> numbers on them.

In the mid-1960s, when I was a lad, my mother took me shopping with her.
When time came to pay for her purchases, she pulled out her shiny brand
new credit card and presented it to the cashier.  The cashier looked
abjectly terrified.  She called her supervisor over to help her through
the process.

They pulled a book out of a drawer below the cash register. It was about
the same size as the local phone book, and printed on the same sort of
very thin slightly gray paper as used in phone books, but it was much
thicker.  She put it down and began to flip through the pages.  I saw
that each page had numerous columns, all containing numbers.  The top
outer corners of the pages showed the minimum and maximum number on
each page, to make it easier to find the right page to search, just as
a dictionary typically shows the alphabetically minimum and maximum
words on each page in the upper corners.  She found the right page and
then scanned it in detail.  When she was satisfied that the card number
was not present, she asked her supervisor to double check and confirm
it.  Then they closed the book and on its cover I saw the words
"Revoked Card List" and the month and year for which is was current.
They published a new phone book like that for every participating merchant
every month.  Each book had the numbers of ALL unexpired revoked cards
for the entire world (which was limited to parts of North America at
that time for that issuer).

The single most important thing that the cashier was required to check was
the expiration date on the card.  Cashiers were required to mark on the
transaction slip that they had checked the expiration date.  Being expired
meant that the number would NOT be present in the RCL book, even if the
card had been revoked before it expired.  Expiration kept the size of that
RCL book manageable.

CRLs are the modern analog of those old RCLs, and OCSP is the analog of
those ubiquitous card-swipe devices that contact the issuer and get
approval.  Despite this, many CAs still prefer to issue CRLs over using
OCSP, perhaps because the cost of publishing CRLs is so much less than
the cost of publishing those old phone-book sized documents.  Also, as
Julien has pointed out, for servers doing high volumes of revocation
checking, having a full CRL locally is much more efficient than using
OCSP for every cert.