Apropos Gerv's strawman question about trying to make OCSP soft fail better, here is a fairly eloquent article from Bruce Schneier that might help. I don't always agree with him, but on this article, I am in full agreement. First and last paras only.

http://threatpost.com/blogs/difficulty-un-authentication-128

In computer security, a lot of effort is spent on the authentication problem. Whether it’s passwords, secure tokens, secret questions, image mnemonics, or something else, engineers are continually coming up with more complicated -- and hopefully more secure -- ways for you to prove you are who you say you are over the Internet.

[snip]

Designing systems for usability is hard, especially when security is involved. Almost by definition, making something secure makes it less usable. Choosing an unauthentication method depends a lot on how the system is used as well as the threat model. You have to balance increasing security with pissing the users off, and getting that balance right takes time and testing, and is much more an art than a science.