On 05/18/2010 09:44 PM, From johnjbarton:
The designer here is asserting a false, one-dimensional design space and insisting that users make a choice along this false dimension.

Actually the user doesn't have to make a choice I think. It's either working or it doesn't. All the rest is a work-around...

As long as your designer views the problem of security as a tradeoff with convenience, you are not going to improve security.

The inconvenience is for the web site operators, not the users. Users should not and do not have to experience any inconvenience. And why should they? Really, why? If they do it's probably your fault, not theirs.

You will just create higher and more obscure barriers along that one dimension, trying to herd users to the other end. They will work around your efforts.

It's not the users which try to work around those efforts, it's a certain group trying to do that. And they are not average users.

I do not believe that users should be asked to make choices

Exactly, neither do I - and I don't see any valid reason why they should. Do you see one?

When the security system UI presents the user with a choice that can expose them to security failures and they make a choice that leads to the security failure, where is the problem?

Probably no way to work around an error should be offered. At least that would make it secure and doesn't ask for a choice. Would you be happy with that? Either it works or it doesn't - like HTTP Error 404.

(There is no choice, the page or site doesn't exist, probably SSL errors should be handled the same way)

I would choose to view the dancing pigs, because the technology is
supposed to make that a safe thing for me to do. I would not, however,
enter any important credentials after clicking through the cert warning.
I would find it hard to explain the reasoning to my grandmother.

Exactly my point. The entire cert warning is pointless, because the users are faced with choices they cannot assess properly.

Doesn't that mean the your grandmother will probably not access that site?

The better model begins by abandoning the "security-vs-convenience" mindset. Security should be about the maximum actually and effective security experienced by users. Our reaction to users clicking through the cert dialogs and being exposed to attack should be "we failed", not "users have poor judgment".

I think I start to agree with you - so what is it that you are proposing?

Signer:  Eddy Nigg, StartCom Ltd.
XMPP:    start...@startcom.org
Blog:    http://blog.startcom.org/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/eddy_nigg