On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 11:21 AM, Mark Mentovai <m...@chromium.org> wrote:

> I would avoid this. -Xarch_arch is implemented as an Apple GCC
> driverdriver option and isn’t available in mainline GCC or even the
> Apple GCC’s CPU-specific frontends (such as i686-apple-darwin10-
> gcc-4.2.1). -Xarch_arch would allow things to work with Apple GCC and
> would even enable single-pass universal builds, but would ruin things
> for users of non-Apple GCC. NSPR and NSS have striven to be flexible
> with respect to build configurations in the past. I’d be surprised if
> either project were now willing to mandate that Apple GCC (or some
> other Apple-supplied compiler) would be the only compiler that could
> be used to target Mac OS X or Darwin.

Mandating Apple compilers is fine.  Until one or two years ago,
NSPR and NSS were using the -Wmost flag, which is an Apple
extension.  I was the one who noticed the problem.  That's
strong evidence that no one else had tried to compile NSPR
or NSS on the Mac with non-Apple GCC.

But we should use -Xarch_arch only if it offers a simpler solution
than defining arch-specific macros in lib/freebl/blconfig.h.

Wan-Teh