My reading of RFC 3280/5280 and from implementation experience with NSS,
CryptoAPI, OpenSSL, and other implementations is that no, that is not
correct.

CA:TRUE with a pathlen:0 is conformant to RFCs 3280/5280. The most common
cause for this would be for a CA certifying an intermediate, but that
intermediate should not be allowed to further mint new intermediates. The
intermediate will be flagged with CA:TRUE, pathlen:0.

CA:FALSE with a pathlen:anything is non-conformant.

CA:TRUE with pathlen omitted indicates there are no constraints on the
length of the path (pathlen: -1).

basicConstraints MUST NOT be omitted for CA certificates (or more aptly,
certificates which sign other certificates). It MUST be present and MUST be
critical.

basicConstraints MAY be omitted for "end-entity" certificates, and if
present, it MAY be critical. The absence of basicConstraints is the same as
CA:FALSE with no pathlen.

Again, CA:TRUE, pathlen:0 = A CA certificate that can mint any number of
certificates, but none of those certificates may be used to sign other
certificates (aka: no certificate issued may be used as an intermediate)