On 15/08/13 19:01, Robert Relyea wrote:
> That's an instrumentation issue. It was true back in 1995/6 when the
> code was added I don't know how true it is today. My guess is the
> biggest compatibility issue is self-issued certs, not CA issued certs...
> but then again most of those are self-signed...

Are we currently gathering cert data using Telemetry? Perhaps this could
be added.

>> Time_Stamp   == EKU_Time_Stamp                               // 597-601
>
> Technically this is EXT_KEY_USAGE_TIME_STAMP || EKU_TIME_STAMP.

What is the difference between these two? Looking at the wording, they
seem identical - EKU stands for EXT_KEY_USAGE...

>> It seems the conditions under which a cert
>> is given EXT_KEY_USAGE_STATUS_RESPONDER are wider than those for the
>> other types...
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by this.

I mean that (for certs with no NS extension and no EKU) the cert is
given type EXT_KEY_USAGE_STATUS_RESPONDER if CERT_IsCACert() returns
true. This is a more expansive check than merely seeing if
basicConstraint.isCA is true - which is what is checked for the other
cert types. I am talking about lines 610-618.

> two. It's been several decades since we have the general constraints and
> the NS Cert extension is basically redundant in face of that, so I think
> it would be good to look at deprecating the support for parsing NS Cert
> extensions altogether. (It may even be safer to do this than to drop
> support for certs with neither extension).

Feel free to file a bug :-)

Gerv