On Friday, August 9, 2013 5:30:26 AM UTC+3, Brian Smith wrote:
> Please see https://briansmith.org/browser-ciphersuites-01.html

Thank you for this.

I'm a bit skeptical about whether eliminating handshake fingerprinting is worth
the disincentive to improve the set of ciphersuites. And I'm skeptical about
actually getting to a state where all browsers have the same handshake in the
first place.

If there was a single ciphersuite that was known to be the one everyone should
use for all future and the other ciphersuites were around just for
compatibility with legacy servers (analogous to UTF-8 and other character
encodings), I think it would make sense to freeze the handshake. However, since
encryption is supposed to get stronger over time, having a frozen handshake
would block improvements. Is it really realistic that other browsers would
agree not to offer better ciphersuites as soon as they can get them implemented
until all browsers agree that new ciphersuites should be included? On the other
hand, if other browsers adopted the same handshake as Firefox, would it be
better for Firefox to keep the common handshake than to introduce better
ciphersuites as they become available?

If the common handshake isn't achievable or desirable, I wonder if it's a good
idea to drop Camellia altogether.  I know nothing about the merits of Camellia
relative to AES (maybe they are even similar enough for attacks to be
transferable; dunno), but a reduction in algorithm agility seems scary on an
uninformed gut level. If one assumes that handshakes won't be unified across
browsers, wouldn't it then make sense, space permitting, to keep around at
least one forward-secret RSA+Camellia ciphersuite in case a disaster strikes
AES?

What the threat being defended against in the handshake fingerprinting case? At
least network eavesdroppers near the browser will have plenty of adjacent plain
HTTP traffic with UA strings to capture for the foreseeable future and the site
being connected to gets the UA string anyway.