Hi,

I have a couple of questions concerning certificate handling in Firefox and
PKCS#11.

When Firefox receives a X.509 cert during HTTPS establishment, the certificate
(chain) is validated by NSS, right?! Is this done via PKCS#11 or are Firefox
and NSS communicating via an other interface?

I can't find an appropriate PKCS#11 function, accepting a certificate chain.

The reason I ask is the following:
We are out to implement an alternative trust model, consisting of an external
(but local) Java application, managing the trust validation etc., and a Firefox
extension acting as an interface between the user, the browser and the Java
application.
One possibility could be to develop a PKCS#11 module, which is registered in
Firefox, takes the certificate chain and communicates with the Java application
to receive a valid/invalid answer.
But we are not sure if this is possible. Any thoughts about it?
Alternatively, a simpler approach would be to omit the PKCS#11 module and let
the extension directly communicate with the Java application via a local web
server.