On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 06:28:54PM -0800, Brian Smith wrote:

> - Only 2048 bit public, 128 bit symmetric, 256 bit elliptic, or
> >   better.
> >

> Approximately 1.5% of Fx26 full handshakes that use RSA certs use keys
> smaller than 2048 bits. So, enforcing the 2048 bit limit is not going to be
> a simple thing to do for a while, even though we want to do it soon.

SSL-pulse stats for 1024 bit keys (the rest is 2048 or 4096)
- june:         5.4% (-0.7%)
- july:         4.7% (-0.7%)
- august:       4.1% (-0.6%)
- september:    3.3% (-0.8%)
- october:      2.2% (-1.1%)
- november:     1.7% (-0.5%)
- december:     1.3% (-0.4%)

If it continues at this rate, that would mean in about 2 months we
should reach 0%, but it's probably going to take a little longer.

> We can
> enforce the 256 bit limit on ECC now though, because literally everybody
> seems to be using the P-256 curve. (This actually makes me wonder if the
> P-384 support even works, since not a single handshake in Firefox 26 used
> it.)

We only have 256 bit or higher.  Openssl at least supports some
160 bit versions, but I see no good reason to add support for
those.

But I currently don't see why they don't get selected.  I'm not
sure if this has to do with SHA-384 not being available, but I
doubt it.

Kurt