On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 11:22:32AM -0500, Julien Vehent wrote:
> On 2013-12-15 11:13, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> >>>

> >>There is another reason to drop CAMELLIA: AES with AES-NI is 8 times
> >>faster. AES-NI is supported by the majority of server CPUs right now.
> >>
> >>Camellia is still fast in software, my laptop computes between 90 and
> >>160 MB/s with openssl and an intel cpu. But if we want to provide the
> >>fastest response time to users, it's important to consider the server
> >>cost on the client side.
> >
> >It's not because it's enabled that you have to use it.  The
> >priority of Camellia is now always below AES.  If the server
> >supports AES it should pick it.
>
> Right. And by "drop" I really meant "reduce preference of".

Which is what we already did.  As Brian's stats show, the
reordering has already reduced Camellia's usage to about 0.03%.

But some people are also considering disabling it by default,
as I think all other where talking in this thread, not just
reduce the preference.

> For the same reason, the server ciphersuite that we recommend at
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Server_Side_TLS
> does not drop Camellia, but lists it at the bottom of the ciphersuite.
> It's a safe choice, but not one that we recommend.

As far as I know the reasons for not recommending it are:
- It's slower
- It probably doesn't have much constant-time implementations.

So as I understand it, the reason for not recommending it don't
have anything to do with the security of Camellia itself.

Kurt