Hi all,

I have a path validation/hierarchy question - specifically wondering
about the path validation problems incurred on various clients.  (I
realize there's no definite answer besides "test it on all the clients
you care about".)

Imagine a four-cert hierarchy R -> A -> B -> L  (Root, Leaf, and two
Intermediates A & B).  R's Issuer and Subject will match, A's Issuer
will be R; B's Issuer will be A; and L's Issuer will be B.  R is a
root because of the dual combination of i) being installed in the
trust store and ii) matching the Subject/Issuer.  I send a chain of
A->B->L and clients are happy.

Now what happens when I decide that I want to trust A, but not
everything else off of R?

I tested it out, and installing A into the trust store on Firefox and
on my MacBook doesn't cause any problems with
Firefox/Chrome/Safari/curl. It seems the issuer/subject mismatch was
not an issue.  IS this technique recommended/not
recommended/documented or otherwise known to work or not work under
any circumstances?

----

The reverse question I have is in the event of Cross Certification.
Imagine a simpler hierarchy R -> A -> L.  However in this model, R is
cross-signed by other CA, C - and some clients only have C in their
trust store (while others have C and R).

In order for this to actually work, there would need to be two R's: R
(self-signed, where Issuer=Subject for a proper root) and R' (signed
by C, with Issuer=C).  Which works fine if you know under what
circumstances to send R and R', but poor L doesn't know when to send
which - right?

I'm also confused by all the extensions:
- AKI and SKI: Both R and R' would have the same SKI.  R's AKI points
to it's own SKI; R''s AKI would point to C's SKI.
- What will A's AIA point to?  Presumably R and not R'; correct?
Won't this cause problems?

Is there an elegant solution to this Cross Certification problem?  It
seems like Let's Encrypt is going to deal with this (albeit one level
removed), so what's the plan there?

-tom