Robert Relyea wrote:
On 10/21/2016 07:04 AM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
I'm trying to figure out how to dynamically enable FIPS support for
NSS Contexts.

I started with multinit.c and initialize FIPS right after calling
NSS_InitContext() using this:

So you can't change the state of an already open database. NSS will
switch all new databases that are opened, and idle the old ones
(basically they are open, but not really accessible).

    if (!PK11_IsFIPS()) {
        fprintf(stderr, "Initializing FIPS\n");
        SECMODModule *mod = SECMOD_GetInternalModule();
        if (!mod) {
            fprintf(stderr, "No module!?\n");
            exit(1);
        }
        char * internal_name = PR_smprintf("%s",
            SECMOD_GetInternalModule()->commonName);

        if ((SECMOD_DeleteInternalModule(internal_name) != SECSuccess) ||
         !PK11_IsFIPS()) {
                 fprintf(stderr, "Unable to enable FIPS mode on
certificate database\n");
                 exit(1);
        }

I'm executing it like this, initializing only db1 and db2 as contexts:

So when you do an initcontext, you're main database is usually not the
same as the main database when you open NSS, so it won't get
automatically switched.

Is there a reason you are trying to do a dynamic switch to FIPS mode
from within a library? (I'd like to know the use case).

I'm converting mod_nss to use contexts. I previously had an option to switch on FIPS mode which turned it on in NSS, did some sanity checking on the cipher options and required a password.

I'd be ok requiring an all or nothing with the FIPS databases if that simplifies thiungs.

Dynamic switching is a pretty careful choreographed dance that
applications like mozilla can execute with care. It usually involves
both fips and non-fips tokens opened for a short period until all the
references can be cleared. Databases opened before the switch will
almost certainly be inaccessible.

$ ./multinit --verbose --lib1_db db1/ --lib2_db db2 --lib1_command
list_certs --lib2_command list_certs --lib1_readonly --lib2_readonly
--order 12zi

This is the output:

$ ./multinit --verbose --lib1_db db1/ --lib2_db db2 --lib1_command
list_certs --lib2_command list_certs  --lib1_readonly --lib2_readonly
--order  12zi
* initializing with order "12zi"*
*NSS_Init for lib1*
Checking for FIPS
Initializing FIPS
*Executing nss command "list_certs" for lib1*
cacert CTu,Cu,Cu
*       Slot=NSS FIPS 140-2 Certificate DB*
*       Nickname=cacert*
*       Subject=<CN=Certificate Shack,O=example.com,C=US>*
*       Issuer=<CN=Certificate Shack,O=example.com,C=US>*
*       SN=01 *
Server-Cert                                                  u,u,u
*       Slot=NSS FIPS 140-2 Certificate DB*
*       Nickname=Server-Cert*
*       Subject=<CN=darlene.greyoak.com,O=example.com,C=US>*
*       Issuer=<CN=Certificate Shack,O=example.com,C=US>*
*       SN=04 *
*NSS_Init for lib2*
Checking for FIPS
FIPS already enabled
*Executing nss command "list_certs" for lib1*
*Executing nss command "list_certs" for lib2*
*NSS_Shutdown for lib2
*Shutdown lib2 state = 0
*Executing nss command "list_certs" for lib1*
*NSS_Shutdown for lib1
*Shutdown lib1 state = 0

So db1 is successfully put into FIPS mode and the slot names are
changed as one would expect, but then lib2 isn't set into FIPS mode
and subsequently no certificates are discovered at all (I can only
assume because there is a mix of FIPS and non-FIPS tokens so it throws
up?)
yes.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
pushing the limits of what is possible;).

So things are acting as I would expect. your other lib will likely need
to shutdown it's database and reopen it.

I'm still a little unclear. So if I open all the databases, and THEN set FIPS mode, that will do the trick? I was pretty sure I tried that but who knows.

thanks

rob