Dear forum readers,

I use self-signed certificates. As long as it's not for a large public, trust
can be achieved that way : the certificate is sent to a friend, its fingerprint
is then verified via a secure (enough) channel such as a phone call, and that's
fine.

Hence I was sure this wouln't be a problem on Mozilla's products, so this came
to me as a surprise when I discovered I can't deliver my own self-signed
certificate to my friends using Thunderbird. It says the certificate can't be
verified and won't be imported. Adding the certificate in the autorities list
is rejected too, with the reason it's not a CA.

While I could set the CA bit on my certificate, that's a problem since it means
it can be used to sign other certificates and has bigger trust implications
that just accepting one certificate : recognizing my signature is one thing,
accepting that I may act as a CA is clearly another matter. Contrary to some
beliefs, setting pathlen=0 doesn't solve the problem since the pathlen
attribute indicates how many non self-issued intermediate CAs are permitted in
the certification path. So, pathlen=0 still enables signing of end entity
certificates such as, say, a secure online banking website. Let's face it,
that's not the kind of trust everbody is ready to give me...

That's why there should be a way to give trust to non-CA self-signed
certificates.

Thanks for reading me !

--
Olivier