Dear all,

Importing a COMODO email signing cert into Thunderbird 60.2.1 works fine in a
plain vanilla way, that is: enroll, download, import.

Now, I want to import a certificate, originally created by our company PKI as
SSL-Client certificate for use with Cisco Anyconnect VPN clients.

I realized that it differs in its DN format, misses explicit mail
sing/encryption flags and has additional subject alternative names.

Two of my company email addresses are contained as

  1. "Subject: CN = <myuid>@<companydomain>"
  2."X509v3 Subject Alternative Name: DNS:vpn.<companydomain>,
email:<myemailname>@<companydomain>

I was trying to figure out why Thunderbird refuses to accept this cert for use
with either

<myuid>@<companydomain>

or

<myemailname>@<companydomain>

but there seems to be no diagnostic output, nor any documentation, what the
minimum requirements for Thunderbird to accept a given cert for S/MIME actually
are.

I once debugged Thunderbird and NSS code to figure this out, and I remember it
was a hell of a setup to find out, what is really going on, but maybe there is
somewhere a document outlining these requirements.

Would be great if you could point me into the right direction.

Regards

Martin