On Thursday, March 26, 2020 at 9:01:57 AM UTC-7, Robert Relyea wrote:
> Red Hat Planning would like to know the estimate for when the NSS
> targetted for ESR will be released. We are working on the theory it will
> be end of May (balancing time for PKCS #11 3.0 changes versus when ESR
> needs a new NSS). Planning wants me to confirm that with mozilla,
> particularly JC.
>
> Thanks,
>
> bob

This comes at a very apropos time, as just yesterday we were discussing a
similar topic re: reducing risk around the pandemic.

I am happy to give a longer bake time for the NSS for ESR 78. My proposal is as
follows:

That Firefox 76 (currently in Nightly) move to a point release of NSS 3.51,
specifically 3.51.1, including only non-risky changes that have happened since
we released 3.51. This gives us more time to test for issues that might occur
due to the HACL* and PKCS11 updates.

Firefox 77 then would see the release of NSS 3.52, which is the current NSS
trunk.

After Firefox 77, we'd version bump NSS mainline to 3.53 as expected, but keep
Firefox 78 (an ESR release) on NSS 3.52, and potentially make a point release
3.52.1 for Firefox 78 with only low-risk changes.

After that, we return to our new "normal" cadence, of NSS 3.53 shipping with
Firefox 79.

In effect that would give us 3 cycles / 12 weeks of time working on NSS 3.52
before it ships as an ESR release.

If this seems rational to you, we'll update the NSS Release Versions wiki [0]
to draw this out a bit more visually and take any other comments.

Thanks again for raising this!
J.C. and team

[0] https://wiki.mozilla.org/NSS:Release_Versions