On 05/17/2012 09:24 PM, Fabrice Desré wrote:
Hi Gerv,

On Thu, 17 May 2012 15:40:59 +0100, Gervase Markham wrote:
My understanding was that a principle of the "Mozilla way" of doing app
stores is that we wanted a variety of stores - anyone can set one up,
and stores would compete on ease of use, etc. We are not trying to set
up a third monopoly store alongside the iTunes store and Google Play.
For this to work, stores should be able to collect web apps and offer
them to people.

However, the manifest value "installs_allowed_from" seems to work in
entirely the opposite way; how could a new player enter the app store
space if none of the existing apps could be installed through their
store?
That's correct, a new player would have to convince existing app authors
to list their store URL in installs_allowed_from, or he would be limited
to apps that don't use installs_allowed_from since it defaults to "*".

Could the team explain the purpose of this value? What security concern
prompted its inclusion in the manifest format?
  I'm not part of the apps team, but I guess the purpose is to prevent
rogue stores to sell apps without the author consent. As fas as I can
tell, this is totally possible with apps that don't use
"installs_allowed_from" or list "*" in the values.

        Fabrice

The value "installs_allowed_from" seems, to me, more a security measure, than a measure to restrict people at one marketplace.

This feature, if I understood it correctly, gives the author of a webapp the opportunity to announce where his/her app will be safe to be downloaded/updated from.

fredy