Datum: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 06:06:18 +1000
Von: Paul King <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
An: Ant Developers List <dev@ant.apache.org>
Betreff: Re: svn commit: r466627 - in /ant/core/trunk/src/etc/poms: ./
ant-antlr/ ant-apache-bcel/ ant-apache-bsf/ ant-apache-log4j/ ant-apache-oro/
ant-apache-regexp/ ant-apache-resolver/ ant-commons-logging/ ant-commons-net/
ant-jai/ ant-javamail/ ant-jdepend/ an...

Thanks. I will submit a request and see what they say.

Two questions though which you may or may not be able to help with.

(1) BSF provides the engines for Xalan, Jython, etc. but the engine
comes externally with the language for Groovy, JRuby, Beanshell, etc.
Do you believe this distinction is irrelevant as far as the
dependency list is concerned?

The only nuances that I know of in a maven dependency list are the element
optional (true or false) and the element scope
(compile,runtime,provided,system). So for me both the languages for which bsf
provides the engine and the languages which provide their own bsf engine are
optional runtime dependencies.

I do not know what maven does with optional runtime dependencies. I imagine in
the end they are only a hint for the readers of your POMs about where to find
the optional dependencies in ibiblio and which version numbers you endorse
together with bsf 2.4.0.

You could have a look at two files written mainly by Steve Loughran, fetch.xml
and libraries.properties.
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/ant/core/trunk/fetch.xml
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/ant/core/trunk/lib/libraries.properties
these work with the maven ant tasks to download the libs.
Maybe you could inspire yourself from these files to add similar files to bsf
for users to download select lists of files.

(2) Do you know if there is a way using Ant Maven tasks to not get
optional jars without explicitly excluding each one? I guess this
is where Ivy's configurations really shine but Ivy doesn't seem
to have the concept of scope without explicitly mimicking it
using configurations. The most common scenario with BSF is someone
is trying to integrate their favorite scripting language with
Java. They wouldn't normally want every known scripting language
to be supported. Under these circumstances is it reasonable to
leave off the optional dependencies in the POM? Any thoughts?

you would have to ask the maven user list. I do not know, I am not a big user
of the maven ant tasks. Sounds like only Ivy can do what you want. You would
like for instance to say : get bsf + groovy + jython but not beanshell for
instance.
Thanks, Paul.