There aren't as many comments as I hoped to get ...
A main comment was that we also need a process of reactivating a subproject.

So here are the updated proposals for the two processes/todo-lists.

Again - please comment.

Jan

------------------------------

The retirenment of a subproject/component is started by a formal vote of the
Ant PMC.

When retiring a subproject/component, what should and have we to do?
Basically we have to announce it and make resources read-only.

- version control

  Most of our source code is in git, only "site" and "sandbox" use subversion.
  I propose to simply place a marker file on the top level.
  Copying/Moving to another location as Tomcat does on subversion
  (svn.a.o/repos/asf/tomcat/archive) doesn't make sense to me as with git we
  always have a complete repository.

  The marker file (e.g. "RETIRED_PROJECT") could contain the result of the vote,
  or further information like who to contact in case of reactivation.

  Add a note at the top of a README file as well so it is immediately visible
  to people browsing the github mirror.

  We should ask infra to make the central repository read-only.

- issue tracker

  If the subproject/component has its own issue tracker we have to close that.
  It is enough to make it read-only, so these information are longer available.

- mailing list

  If the subproject/component we have to close this. We should send a final
  email.

- announcement

  We have to announce the retirement of the subproject at dev@ant,
  announce@apache and the Ant main page.

- build jobs

  All build jobs on Jenkins@Apache, TeamCity and Gump have to be deleted.

- homepage

  We could create an "attic/archive" page and list all retired subprojects.

  Here we could also place information about the
  * the retirement "process"
  * where to find the old resources (vcs, mail archive, issue tracker)
  * who to ask current questions
  * how to reactivate

- release further resources

  Maybe a subproject locks further resources (update-site, ...). So we have
  to release them?

-----------------------

The Ant PMC start the reactivation of a subproject/component by a formal vote.

When reactivating a subproject/component, what should and have we to do?
Basically we have to announce it and make resources read-write again.

- version control

  Delete the marker file (e.g. "RETIRED_PROJECT").

  Delete the note at the top of a README file as well so it is immediately
  visible to people browsing the github mirror.

  We should ask infra to make the central repository read-write again.

- issue tracker

  If the subproject/component has its own issue tracker we have to reopen that.

- mailing list

  Because reopeing implies a smaller community we should use the main
mailinglist
  dev@ant. So reactivating a special list is not required and could be postponed
  to a later PMC decision.

- announcement

  We should announce the reactivation of the subproject dev@ant?
  Do we have to announce the reactivation of the subproject announce@apache?

- build jobs

  New build jobs on Jenkins@Apache, TeamCity and Gump could be created as
  required.

- homepage

  If we have an "attic/archive" page remove it from there.

- reactivate further resources

  Make existing read-only resources read-write again.
  Further resources could be gained as required.