Hello Stefan,

On 18/11/22 2:40 pm, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
On 2022-11-16, Jaikiran Pai wrote:

Users can still use the current released Ant version against these
recent Java versions, but they additionally have to set a system
property while launching Ant to allow setting the security
manager. Ant's mainline code has changes where it does the necessary
work (to the extent possible) to set this property internally without
forcing the users to do that. So releasing this version of Ant should
help projects building against these recent versions.
I guess you've seen Earl Hood's response, I haven't looked into it
myself, yet.

Yes, that response helped me decide which way to go. Before that, I was still inclined to try and get this working by doing necessary changes to the launcher scripts - but that was going nowhere and it introduced the unnecessary dual launch of Java (once to identify the version and then the real launch). ewh's response gave me the confidence that using "allow" as a class (on Java versions where it isn't recognized as a predefined value) would be the better of the 2 approaches.

I found some time this weekend to get this implemented in Ant and have now committed https://github.com/apache/ant/commit/82c70f3202d5aec4d99fa3b6314ba4a6c338cd94. Tests against JDK 8, 11, 17, 19 and latest 20 EA all came back fine against Linux and Windows.

-Jaikiran