Why are we proliferating this problem, again, and still?

I understand that there are no significant export issues remaining with the
original crypt() functions, and they are available under free bsd license,
correct?  This is a portability issue in itself, though one that could be
very reasonably implemented/handled in aprutil.

> apr_validate_password has some platform #ifdefs in there
> that can easily go away if apr_crypt() existed.

It should _never_ accept unencrypted anything (which it will under some
platforms.)  It should iterate through crypt, md5 and sha1, because the
author of the code may be relying on files from other platforms, and other
eras.