At 12:33 PM 8/14/2003, Cliff Woolley wrote:
>On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> > Sure... take a look at apr_os_file_get() which is declared in
>> > apr_portable.h
>>
>> This answer is, I'm surmising, unfortunately incomplete.  That is, on
>> Unix systems, apr_os_file_get() will do the trick, but the OS file
>> descriptor mechanism on Windows platforms is a HANDLE (as you can also
>> see in apr_portable.h), so there's a little more work to be done there.
>
>Oh, well, yes, that's certainly true.  He said specifically that he was
>passing a file descriptor to the Unix API, so I assumed he meant he was
>only running on Unix.  Perhaps that was not a valid assumption.

I think the assumption was right - but I'm thinking that fd's are (in theory)
entirely posix, as are FILE's.  We might want to consider these two as
cross-platform, posix implementations.  So where we have apr_portable.h
today (badly named ;-)  we might want to have an apr_posix.h to implement
whatever conversions we can in terms of pure posix types.

Bill