]] Bojan Smojver

| On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 09:27 +0100, Joe Orton wrote:
| > In the past I have argued we should never do runtime platform feature
| > detection, i.e., if accept4() works at build-time, we can presume it
| > works at run-time.  I think I need to soften that position now; use of
| > a modern userspace on an older kernel seems to be very widespread in
| > Xen hosting sites.  I shipped socket(,SOCK_CLOEXEC) support in neon
| > and got lots of complaints, from users across the spectrum of
| > distributions.
|
| Shouldn't these people build their runtime using the older kernel then?

Since I'm one of those Debian people who wanted the runtime detection in
the past:  No, we can't do that.

The apr (and all other packages) are built by build daemons on various
different architectures.  We, as the packagers of apr, don't control
those at all.  So far, we have specified a minimum version and disabled
all features that need a newer kernel version, which obviously isn't
great either.

So: +1 from me on doing runtime detection.

--
Tollef Fog Heen