More precisely "make check" is broken for out of tree builds, although the core reason is not restricted to "make check". It was observed after r1909334 / r1909335, which introduce a dependency on arch/unix/apr_private.h to testpoll.c.

The header file arch/unix/apr_private.h (build tree) is generated from arch/unix/apr_private.h.in (source tree). But is contains

#include "../apr_private_common.h"

which will be looked up due to the relative path in the build tree, but actually is located in the source tree.

Currently arch/unix/apr_private.h is only used in testpoll.h, therefore the problem only shows up during make check. But in fact arch/unix/apr_private.h is broken for any potential use.

This problem is in 1.7.x and 1.8.x. I did not check apr trunk.

Unfortunately I have no idea how to make autoheader to use

#include "arch/apr_private_common.h"

instead of

#include "../apr_private_common.h"

in the generated arch/unix/apr_private.h.in.

Maybe someone has an idea?

Thanks and regards,

Rainer