On Sat, Apr 20, 2024 at 12:38:20PM +0200, Ivan Zhakov wrote:
> I would suggest separating APR in different libraries, while keeping them
> in one project/source tree.
>
> Something like that:
> - apr-2
> - apr-dbd-2
> - apr-dbm-2
> - apr-xlate-2 (?)
> - apr-crypto-2
> - apr-xml-2
> - apr-ldap-2
> - apr-memcache-2
> - apr-redis-2
>
> I want to clarify that I don't propose going back to apr-util time when APR
> was splitted to separate projects: this proposal is only about libraries on
> the disk.

Yes, exactly right. IIRC someone (Justin?) wrote a proposal on doing it
like this which had rough consensus around the time we did the big merge
combining APR+APR-util into a single tree.

Anything "substantial" should be in a separate library, so library
dependency chains like [app -> libapr-xml-X.so.X -> libexpat.so] are
maintained, but isolated so that apps don't pull in libexpat. Open
questions on where to draw the line, as to what goes in a separate
library, and much more I'm sure.

Regards, Joe