2011/8/3 Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>:

> On 04/08/2011, at 1:50 AM, Olivier Lamy wrote:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>> I'd like to continue working on the refactoring. Most of the part
>> (removing plexus stuff is mostly done).
>
> What's still left to be done for that? Anything that would block us shipping
> if the other metadata related bugs were sorted out?

Nothing except more testing and releasing redback and companions.

what the bugs regarding metadata ?

>> Now the next step is probably to expose our apis (redback, archiva)
>> tru REST services.
>> IMHO with this we will be able to refactor ui more easily (and maybe
>> write different ui technologies)
>
> Cool!
>
> Is your plan to start by mirroring the xmlrpc ones? Will you be leaving them
> there?

Perso I'd like to remove xmlrpc ones :-). But if it's used they can
stay. No real ideas about who consume those.

> You will find as you go that there is some struts actions with too much logic
> in them, and some where the code is duplicated in the xmlrpc that will need
> refactoring.
>
> I'd like to make sure this effort keeps trunk working, though :) Hopefully it
> has less impact.
ouch :-)) Sure should more easy/transparent than the previous
refactoring on plexus.

> For redback - what parts are you going to expose as REST? That might be a
> good place to be selective so we can consider chopping some parts out.
Agree we have to create a list for that.

>> I think about using cxf (ASF dogwood)
>
> I'm fine with that - though I presume you're using JAX-RS and it wouldn't be
> too hard to switch?
Yup that's the goal to use standard jax-rs (and NOT spring annotations)
My idea is to expose services on both xml and json.

> My only concern with CXF is it has a lot of dependencies, and Archiva already
> needs a diet - something we need to keep an eye on :)
Agree the war is huge. (with removing xmlrpc we can maybe cleanup :P ).

An other idea I have is to provide a tomcat install rather than the
jetty (asf dogfood again), an "embeded" archiva version (ie runnable
for testing) and/or something easy to install/run with a simple : java
-jar archiva.war :-)

BTW my plan is to start with redback. (with providing sample ui with
other techs).

At the end we will have to choose the ui tech we will use.
As I remember we talked about gwt or vaadin.
IMHO if we try to add an ui plugin mechanism it will be more easy with vaadin.
And with this there is the question about this plugin mechanism
(dynamic or not ?).
If dynamic the only solution will be using osgi (but a more long term
feature :-) ).

An other long term is to move to shiro to not have to maintain redback.

Sure a lot of ideas !. Now time to do at least a small percentage :-)

--
Olivier Lamy
Talend : http://talend.com