On Dec 4, 2007 2:42 PM, Morten Omholt Alver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have been working on a plugin for integrating JabRef better with
> OpenOffice.org via the UNO interface (to clarify: it's a plugin for
> JabRef - which will support plugins from the next version). It's far
> from finished, but you can at the moment do the basics like inserting
> citations and formatting the bibliography according to a style
> definition. I'd like to try to get the help of some interested users
> with testing and development.

Cool; thanks for the note.

> The plan is for this plugin eventually to be bundled with JabRef, but
> for now, I've made the current version of the plugin available on the
> following address:
>
> http://www.itk.ntnu.no/ansatte/Alver_Omholt_Morten/jabref/OOPlugin.html
>
> The source code isn't too comprehensive, so if you're interested in
> helping out, try it out and have a look at the code!

This brings up something I've been thinking about for awhile. I'm not
sure if David or others agree with me on this, but here's my thinking:

The OOo bibliographic project started with the idea to replace the
integrated bibliographic component with something much better, but
still developed within the framework of OOo.

For a variety of reasons, I think this is the wrong way to go. One of
those reasons is that the Zotero project has pretty much done what I'd
hope to achieve with OOoBib:

1) a rich data model and nice UI
2) good import/export
3) use of the CSL citation styling language
4) integration iwith Word and OOo

... and so, finally a good, cross-platform application that is
suitable for a wide range of fields, including the social sciences and
humanities (where traditional tools often fail). I'm currently using
it for an article manuscript.

I'd like to see this project, then, work on enhancing the integration
of tools like Zotero and JabRef with OOo. I'd encourage people, for
example, to get their hands dirty with testing, with trying to offer
support on places like the Zotero forums, and where possible to spend
time figuring out the code so that we can ensure excellent support
long-term, enhancements, and so forth.

I'd ideally like to use this work to converge on an enhanced citation
API in OOo that allows for standardized integration (and encoding in
ODF 1.2)

I'd also like to see other projects pick up CSL, but that's a somewhat
separate issue.

So I'm basically suggesting a shift in focus designed to get stuff
working NOW, and enhance as we go.

Thoughts?

Bruce

PS - Oh, and I think we should urge Sun deprecate the existing
citation and bib support ASAP.