I didn't mean a someone should maintain a fork of Cassandra. More like
something that could be dropped in. Just like clients have to keep up with
the server, a project like this would also.  I think if the interface was
pluggable it would also allow others to expand and come up with new
interfaces that can possibly expand the user base.  One example would be a
built in REST interface that doesn't rely on an external web server that
translates requests to CQL, just drop in a JAR and the interface comes
available.

This would also lend itself to allow anyone to write an interface in any
(JVM) language they want, if they want to add external stored procedures
via this interface then they would be able to.   I'm for the removal of
Thrift in the trunk, but I think there is a use-case for an extensible
interface.

I still seem to remember there was a few angry users when Avro was removed.