The java-driver is fully Apache licensed. In the implausible scenario something
like that happens, we can always simply fork it and start maintaining it
ourselves.

As long as java-driver community are good community citizens - as they are, and
have been since day one - we are happy to have that non-trivial amount of work
done by them.

Also, I’m curious to know where/when ‘it has happened before’.

--
AY