I am +1 on separating JIRA changes into a new issues@ ML and to have mail to
start a design discussion in JIRA on the dev@ ML.

FWIW, I’m coding for many many years and have seen a lot of attempts to
organise discussions within businesses and in public. Most of these discussions
were made on mailing lists, which was *the tool* to work with these days. But
emails were never and still are not a definitely reliable medium - emails
sometimes get lost or massively delayed on the transport - which is the nature
of emails - emails are not instant messaging nor necessarily arrive in order.
But having an common, consistent and ordered view to a discussion is important
IMO. JIRA provides this view as a tool made to track issues. Mean - JIRAs are
dynamic, have a state and such. Emails don’t. You can see whether an issue is
e.g. closed - but you can’t instantly see whether an email discussion is
“closed”.
When I started to contribute to Apache Cassandra, I really liked the use of
JIRA because it made it much easier to get into tickets/topics that are
interesting and are still active (why should a newbie read a whole discussion
about something that’s already done or obsolete to find something interesting?).
Nowadays, I look at the tickets updated in commits@ but go to JIRA to see the
whole picture. Additionally, I’ve got a dashboard setup for my needs - but
that’s probably only advantageous for frequent contributors or committers.
IMO, JIRA is the medium with the best signal-noise-ratio - you can filter/watch
individual JIRAs. But for mailing lists it’s always all or nothing.

—
Robert Stupp
@snazy