... but it's important to note that if we take this approach, we need to be
careful not to just summarize the conclusion of the discussion, but also
approaches that were examined and found to be unviable, and why.  Otherwise
people looking at the ticket will have to cross reference back to a much
harder-to-follow discussion on the list archives.