It makes sense to make them work for backwards compatibility. There was no
announcement that if you migrated to 3.x they wouldn't work, so everyone
would most likely expect a clear upgrade path. it's not bringing them back
from the dead, but rather helping people who want to upgrade to have this
option.

Unit tests will be completely rewritten I suspect.
On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 at 18:04, Michael Kjellman <mkjell...@internalcircle.com>
wrote:

> Gotcha, I didn't know we were actually bringing them back from the dead!
>
> That being said, won't the unit tests need to be re-writtten (or at least
> refactored) after your work? Couldn't we use /* */ comments instead of
> every single line one by one? Given we use source control couldn't we
> remove the dead code and get it from the revision history if we need it in
> the future?
>
> > On Oct 18, 2016, at 8:18 AM, Oleksandr Petrov <
> oleksandr.pet...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm currently working on actually making Super Columns work in CQL
> context.
> > Currently they do not really work[1].
> >
> > It's not a very small piece of work. It was in the pipeline for some
> time,
> > although there most likely were more important things that had to be
> worked
> > on. I understand your disappointment and am sorry you stumbled upon this.
> > But for now you may just disregard the commented tests. My branch is
> going
> > to be ready for review soon.
> >
> > [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-12373
> >

> > On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 5:10 PM Michael Kjellman <
> > mkjell...@internalcircle.com> wrote:
> >
> >> There was a bunch of tests hastily and messly commented out line by line
> >> (*whyy?*) ColumnFamilyStoreTest with comments that they are pending
> >> SuperColumns support post 8099.
> >>
> >> Could those responsible please cleanup after themselves? It's been a
> while
> >> since 8099 was committed in the first place and I don't see us adding
> Super
> >> Column support at this point and the unit tests surly will need to be
> >> rewritten anyways.
> >>
> >> As my mother always said, pick your dirty wet towel in the hamper off
> the
> >> floor and put it in the hamper please....
> >>
> >> best,
> >> kjellman
> >>
> >> Sent from my iPhone
> >
> > --