Hi All,

I thought I would add a couple of observations and suggestions as someone
who has both personally made my first contributions to the project in the
last few months and someone in a leadership role in an organisation
(Instaclustr) that is feeling it’s way through increasing our contributions
as an organisation.

Firstly - an observation on contribution experience and what I think is
likely to make people want to contribute again:
1) The worst thing that can happen is for your contribution to be
completely ignored.
2) The second worst thing is for it to be rejected without a good
explanation (that you can learn from) or with hostility.
3) Having it rejected with a good reason is not a bad thing (you learn)
4) Having it accepted is, of course, the best!

With this as a background I would suggest a couple of thing that help make
sure (3) and (4) are always more common that (1) and (2) (good outcomes are
probably more common than bad at the moment but we’ve experienced all four
scenarios in the last few months):
1) I think some process of assigning a committer of a “sponsor” of a change
(which would probably mean committers volunteering) before it commences
would be useful. You can kind of do this at the moment by creating a JIRA
and asking for comment but I think the process is a bit unclear and a bit
intimidating for people starting off and it would be nice to know who was
your primary reviewer for a piece of work. (Or maybe this process does
exist and I don’t know about.)
2) I think the “how to contribute” docs could emphasise activities other
than creating new features as a great place to start.It seems that review,
testing and doco could all do with more hands (as on just about any
project). So, encouraging this as a way to start on the project might help
to get some more bandwidth in this area rather than people creating patches
that the committers don’t have bandwidth to review. I would be happy to
draft an update to the docs including some of this if people think it’s a
good idea.

Cheers
Ben