The primary reason I avoided integrating a daemon into the Cassandra
process was the increase in heap pressure and further muddying of the
profile of heap usage. We've already seen that mixing read/write,
compaction, streaming, and repair in the same JVM causes a nasty mix of
allocation patterns that are pretty much impossible to optimize for, so
furthering that problem wasn't on my ToDo list.

Having a tool in-tree? Sure. But I'd strongly recommend against having it
be in-process.

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 7:19 PM, Jay Zhuang <jay.zhu...@yahoo.com.invalid>
wrote:

> No. It's going to have Cassandra to manage the CDC logs, instead of having
> another daemon process to handle that.
>
> Here is CDC design JIRA: CASSANDRA-8844. The pain point is to develop and
> manage the daemon. If they're integrated, it's going to be easier to manage
> and monitor that.
>
> Thanks,
> Jay
>

> On 2/9/17 3:57 PM, Dikang Gu wrote:
>
>> Is it for testing purpose?
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 3:54 PM, Jay Zhuang <jay.zhu...@yahoo.com.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>>
>>> To process the CDC commitLogs, it requires a separate Daemon process,
>>> Carl
>>> has a Daemon example here: CASSANDRA-11575.
>>>
>>> Does it make sense to integrate it into Cassandra? So the user doesn't
>>> have to manage another JVM on the same box. Then provide an ITrigger like
>>> interface (https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/trunk/src/java/org
>>> /apache/cassandra/triggers/ITrigger.java#L49) to process the data.
>>>
>>> Or maybe provide an interface option to handle the CDC commitLog in
>>> SegmentManager(https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/trun
>>> k/src/java/org/apache/cassandra/db/commitlog/CommitLogSegmen