On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 5:18 PM, Jason Brown <jasedbr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> do we have plan to integrate with a dependency injection framework?
>
> No, we (the maintainers) have been pretty much against more frameworks due
> to performance reasons, overhead, and dependency management problems.
>
> On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 2:04 PM, Qingcun Zhou <zhouqing...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Since we're here, do we have plan to integrate with a dependency
> injection
> > framework like Dagger2? Otherwise it'll be difficult to write unit test
> > cases.
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 1:16 PM, Edward Capriolo <edlinuxg...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> franc...@instagram.com>

> > > failing

> > their

> path),
> > > the

> followed. I
> breaks
> > and
> > > them

> CASSANDRA-10283

> > actual
> > > Datastax
> permanent),
> > > and
> > > (much
> > that
> > we're
> going
> > > form.

> f6f3fc6d0ad1bd54a6185ce7bd7a2f
> 5fb8f0446ab97644100e4ef987f36e
> > > >

> > > Ed also noted on the user list [0] that certain sections of the code
> > itself
> > > are difficult to test because of singletons - I agree with the
> suggestion
> > > that it's time to revisit CASSANDRA-7837 and CASSANDRA-10283
> > >
> > > Thanks for the shout out!
> > >
> > > I was just looking at a patch about compaction. The patch was to
> > calculate
> > > free space correctly in case X. Compaction is not something that
> requires
> > > multiple nodes to test. The logic on the surface seems simple: find
> > tables
> > > of similar size and select them and merge them. The reality is it turns
> > out
> > > now to be that way. The coverage itself both branch and line may be
> very
> > > high, but what the code does not do is directly account for a wide
> > variety
> > > of scenarios. Without direct tests you end up with a mental
> approximation
> > > of what it does and that varies from person to person and accounts for
> > the
> > > cases that fit in your mind. For example, you personally are only
> running
> > > LevelDB inspired compaction.
> > >
> > > Being that this this is not a multi-node problem you should be able to
> re
> > > factor this heavily. Pulling everything out to a static method where
> all
> [...]

I don't believe dependency injection frameworks cause "overhead". For
example, if you are using spring

@Bean(initMethod=init, destroyMethod=destroy)
public Server getMeAServer( Component component) {}

@Bean(initMethod=init, destroyMethod=destroy)
public Component getMeAComponent(){}

What spring actually does is something like thisthis:

startup code
Component c = new Component();
c.init()
Server s = new Server(c);
s.init()
The default spring prototype is "singleton" aka create one of these per
bean context.

Spring also does the reverse on shutdown.

The static singleton initialization thing creates a host of problems, with
things not closing cleanly.

One of them I even fixed:
https://github.com/stef1927/cassandra/commits/11984-2.2

So beyond it not creating any performance problems it probably would help
in practice by forcing code into a pattern which is not singleton
initiation driven by classloader which is something very opaque and hard to
troubleshoot. Try putting a break point for example on something loaded by
a static singleton and try to reason about the order of initialization.