I created CASSANDRA-13284 a few days ago with the intent of starting a
discussion around the topic of breaking the CQL parser out into a separate
project.  I see a few benefits to doing it and was wondering what the folks
here thought as well.

First off, the Java CQL parser would obviously continue to be the reference
parser.  I'd love to see other languages have CQL parsers as well, but the
intent here isn't for the OSS C* team to be responsible for maintaining
that.  My vision here is simply the ability to have some high level
CQLParser.parse(statement) call that returns the parse tree, nothing more.

It would be nice to be able to leverage that parser in other projects such
as IDEs, code gen tools, etc.  It would be outstanding to be able to create
the parser tests in such a way that they can be referenced by other parsers
in other languages.  Yay code reuse.  It also has the benefit of making the
codebase a little more modular and a bit easier to understand.

Thoughts?

Jon