I don't see any reasons not to make this part of our guidelines. The
idea of having a list of what should be tested in each kind of test
makes sense. I also like the examples how to improve tests dealing with
global state.

Some of the integration test cases, such as "dry
start"/"restart"/"shutdown"/"upgrade", could use some further
description and how-to examples. Are there any existing tests we can
link for reference?

We also already have a testing related page in our documentation:
http://cassandra.apache.org/doc/latest/development/testing.html
Not sure if it would make sense to merge or create an additional document.