The 2 largest users of offheap memory are bloom filters (a probabilistic
data structure that lets cassandra skip some sstables on the read path) and
compression metadata chunks (data structure that helps us track / use
offsets in compressed files).

Bloom filters you can tune by changing the false positive ratio - higher
tolerated false positive %, the less RAM required
Offheap compression metadata you can tune by having fewer chunks (== larger
chunks == if we have to go to disk, we'll have to read+decompress more
data).