The bin/cassandra script has an explanation
(https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/trunk/bin/cassandra#L24):

# As a convenience, a fragment of shell is sourced in order to set one or
# more of these variables. This so-called `include' can be placed in a
# number of locations and will be searched for in order. The lowest
# priority search path is the same directory as the startup script, and
# since this is the location of the sample in the project tree, it should
# almost work Out Of The Box.
#
# Any serious use-case though will likely require customization of the
# include. For production installations, it is recommended that you copy
# the sample to one of /usr/share/cassandra/cassandra.in.sh,
# /usr/local/share/cassandra/cassandra.in.sh, or
# /opt/cassandra/cassandra.in.sh and make your modifications there.
#
#[...]
#
# If you would rather configure startup entirely from the environment, you
# can disable the include by exporting an empty CASSANDRA_INCLUDE, or by
# ensuring that no include files exist in the aforementioned search list.
# Be aware that you will be entirely responsible for populating the needed
# environment variables.

You can use just a single environment file, if you so wish.