I've created JIRA https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-13695

Best regards, Vladimir Yudovin,

Winguzone - Cloud Cassandra Hosting

---- On Fri, 14 Jul 2017 07:23:57 -0400 Vladimir Yudovin
<vla...@winguzone.com> wrote ----

> If a client disconnects from a coordinator there is also no way for
the replicas to know that the client was disconnected.

Got it.

> Theres internal mechanisms that don't really have a concept of
atimeout and where we would want it to never timeout

Can such timeout be passed to executing thread? For read requests it can be
taken from xxx_equest_timeout_in_ms parameters.

Because now one bad SELECT can put nodes in high load for very long time, and
actually paralyze cluster in certain situations.

Best regards, Vladimir Yudovin,

Winguzone - Cloud Cassandra Hosting

---- On Fri, 14 Jul 2017 00:57:14 -0400 Chris Lohfink
<clohfin...@gmail.com> wrote ----

There is no mechanism for reads to timeout once they have started. The

messaging service will drop the request when its received on the ReadStage

or RequestResponseStage. This is how its always operated so not unique to

3.9. If a client disconnects from a coordinator there is also no way for

the replicas who received a read request from the coordinator to know that

the client was disconnected.

Would be an interesting JIRA but as a note, it will likely not be a quick

fix. Theres internal mechanisms that don't really have a concept of a

timeout and where we would want it to never timeout (ie a compaction,

reading system tables to fill meta data, repairs etc) and currently theres

no way of differentiating between them.

Chris

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 10:53 PM, Vladimir Yudovin
<vla...@winguzone.com>

wrote:

> Hi,

> Cassandra 3.9, I found after some ALLOW FILTERING request running on
huge

> partition fails with Cassandra timeout during read query at
consistency ONE

continue to