I like the idea and we would be willing to take part (no committers here
but I'm sure we can help).

I think it better to pick some JIRAs per 2-3 weeks and have people review
> them. In my experience, it is hard to synchronize all people across
> companies during one 72 hour slot.

It is hard, but there are benefits. Mostly having many people all actively
reviewing stuff at the "same" time so communication will be much
easier/more natural. I think a plan like ^ should be done as well as a
hackathon, but should be a continuous thing that we always do. E.g, each
week someone is responsible for picking a few tickets that should be
reviewed and we hunt for volunteers to start the review work.