> In thinking about this, what is stopping us from branching 4.0 a lot
> sooner? Like now-ish? This will let folks start hacking on trunk with
> new stuff, and things we've gotten close on can still go in 4.0

Agree with Jeff here that this is not necessary. The branch point should be
the feature freeze point.

What's a reasonable alternative / compromise for this? And what
> non-disruptive-but-still-large patches are in flight that we would want to
> delay the line in the sand for?

Seeing as we are now back to where we started (because this was inevitable)
I'll start listing issues again. If we got this worked up over the release
back when I started this thread, June 1 probably would have been enough
warning for everyone to be happy. I started it the way I did so that we
avoided all the needless debate, but we went there anywhere.

Let's also not pretend that "we can drop 4.1 anytime", it will be exactly
as controversial as 4.0 and require as much time, discussion, validation,
and testing to get it out the window. I'd be expecting *at the earliest* that
4.1 landed in Q4 2019.
I also find the whole "only drop large features at the start of a branch"
curious. It's not like trunk has been verified in the meantime (ccm doesn't
count), and anything new that's been introduced should have tests
associated with it. As far as I'm aware, trunk is incredibly broken if you
consider the current testing environment, and we'll have to fix that prior
to releasing anything real. The point of a feature freeze is that you then
spend a lot of time validating, testing, and fixing after the freeze but
before you do the release. You're not in some great rush to release after
the freeze. The point of a feature freeze isn't to have all your features
in months/years before the freeze, it's just meant to stop you from
implementing more features while you fix existing issues.

I do understand the reluctance though, based on the history of the project.
Tick-tock consisted of almost no follow up testing and validation, and 3.0
wasn't much better - but I think it's still reasonable to give a proper
validation/testing strategy a chance, testing in our own environments and
actually making all the utests+dtests work.

Anyway, back to things which I think should land in 4.0 but have been in
the works for a long time:

RangeAwareCompaction - CASSANDRA-10540
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-10540>
We've seen *many* use cases that could benefit from this, and it's also
good for fixing some of the serious problems with vnodes, repairs, and
streaming.
Despite the lack of action I don't think it's far from being finished, but
with a June 1 deadline it's probably unlikely.

Large partition improvements - CASSANDRA-9754
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-9754>
I know this is a much awaited feature for a fair few users, but mostly it
will make operator life a lot easier. I look forward to the day where a
user can't kill their cluster by reading a few large partitions.

Idempotent DDL - CASSANDRA-13426
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-13426>
This will be handy but is really more important for CASSANDRA-10699
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-10699> (which probably
won't make it into 4.0).

More importantly, as I already noted, there's a large backlog of patches to
review that we simply won't get to before June 1st (this includes some
fairly large patches as well, like the pluggable storage refactors).

Side note June 1st puts us almost 2 years from our last feature release
(3.10, Oct 2016) - not "almost a year"/a year/around a year.