> Those were just given as examples. Each would be discussed on its own,
> assuming we are able to find a way to cooperate.
>

> These are relatively simple and it wouldn't be hard for use to patch
> Cassandra. But I want to find a way to make more complicated protocol
> changes where it wouldn't be realistic for us to modify Cassandra.

That's where I'm confused with what you are truly asking.

The native protocol is the protocol of the Apache Cassandra project and was
never meant to be a standard protocol. If the ask is to move towards more
of handling the protocol as a standard that would evolve independently of
whether Cassandra implements it (would the project commit to implement it
eventually?), then let's be clear on what the concrete suggestion is and
have this discussion (but to be upfront, the short version of my personal
opinion is that this would likely be a big distraction with relatively low
merits for the project, so I'm very unconvinced).

But if that's not the ask, what is it exactly? That we agree to commit
changes
to the protocol spec before we have actually implemented them? If so, I just
don't get it. The downsides are clear (we risk the feature is either never
implemeted due to lack of contributions/loss of interest, or that the
protocol
changes committed are not fully suitable to the final implementation) but
what
benefit to the project can that ever have?

Don't get me wrong, protocol-impacting changes/additions are very much
welcome
if reasonable for Cassandra, and both CASSANDRA-14311 and CASSANDRA-2848 are
certainly worthy. Both the definition of done of those ticket certainly
include the server implementation imo, not just changing the protocol spec
file. As for the shard notion, it makes no sense for Cassandra at this point
in time, so unless an additional contribution makes it so that it start to
make
sense, I'm not sure why we'd add anything related to it to the protocol.

--
Sylvain